In this final chapter we take some time to reflect on your learning and the next steps you might take in your journey with narrative practices.
Here we consider the process of beginning to engage with narrative ideas and practices. In this article Alice Morgan shares some of her thoughts:
Beginning to use a narrative approach
You will have found this exercise within the article for this chapter. We invite you to:
- Think about just one thing that has particularly resonated for you about narrative ideas and practices that you have been trying to apply more in your work.
- What would you call the principle or idea? Give it a name. Say something about it – describe what it is about, your understandings of it, in your own words.
- Give some more details about it, e.g.: When did you first notice this idea or principle in the work? What told you that it was important to you?
- What are you currently doing that you would say is a reflection of this particular idea, practice or principle? Say a little bit about the times you thought you had managed to apply the idea or principle to your own practice.
- When you did it, what did you notice? How did it affect, for example:
- The conversation you were engaging in at the time?
- Your thoughts about yourself?
- The other people who were with you?
- Your hopes or plans?
- Your feelings?
- What was this like for you? Did you like it or not?
- Did it suit you or not? Or something in between?
- Why is it that you give this evaluation? What did it seem to fit with?
Please now share your thoughts and responses with others below!
To join with others in ongoing and further conversations you can visit:
Narrative therapy Facebook Communities
For other avenues to learn and exchange ideas you can visit:
Training @ The Dulwich Centre
International Narrative Therapy & Community Work Conferences
The Dulwich Centre Email News
International Journal of Narrative Therapy and Community Work
More detailed online courses in Externalising conversations and Re-membering conversations
Feedback: Please provide us with your thoughts on how this course was for you or your hopes for future courses! We would really like to hear from you … thanks! Email [email protected]
If you would like to receive a certificate for completing this course you can do so for a fee of $77. In order to qualify for this certificate you will need to:
Click here to take the certification module
- complete a brief essay about narrative practice (1,000 words)
- complete a short quiz with a passing grade of at least 80% (the quiz can be taken more than once).
Thank you for joining us on this journey.
We hope you have found this course helpful in some way!
We hope to see you again soon.